Friday, November 30, 2012

Washing and hiking

Today I did the second installment on washing my RV.  Since most campgrounds do not allow typical washing of vehicles, I use Protect All Quick and Easy Wash.  No hose, no rinsing.  Using about half to one gallon of water, I can wash a very dirty side of my RV.  If it is not very dirty, one gallon can do the entire RV.  This time my RV is very dirty since I have not washed it for a long time.  Each day I detail one side washing it thoroughly, removing all tar and oil if any around the bottom, and cleaning inside the outside storage areas.  Yesterday I did the front getting all the bugs off. Today I did the drivers side getting it looking like new again.



After finishing my work for the day, I walked up to the ranger station to return the coffee I have been getting in the morning with my newspaper.  I was unable to catch them in the morning.  They sneak in without me hearing them.  Maybe they came really early and I was still asleep.  Anyway, I told them I don't drink coffee so they need not bother giving my any.  The ranger on duty thank me for letting them know and made a note not to leave any at my site.  Not sure if that work and I hate asking them to make an exception for me but I also hate to waste the coffee and throw it away. If I still get it I can just put them in a pile and return them once in a while.  Not a big deal.

I walked down the road going to the ranger station and checked out the trails on the way back.  The trails are marked on the campground map but I have learned not to rely on them as they are not to scale and usually not accurate.  True to form, it was hard to determine where the trail started and there were several trails not marked on the map and no signs at intersections.  This is why when I am in an unfamiliar area I always take my hiking GPS unit.  With it I can always find my way back if necessary by following the track it logs as I go.  It also keeps track of mileage, time and speed.  Before leaving I set a mark for the RV or car and I can use that to determine the direction and distance back to them.  Of course the distance is as the crow flies so I need to take that into consideration.





Here are some of the pictures I took along the walk.




Some pretty plants despite the fact that it is the end of November so most plants are dried up and there are no flowers.





Bright red oak looking leaves.  Kind of shocking when most everything else was brown or green.



This is what the trail was like in places.  More of an ATV track than a hiking trail.  This is typical of a trail at the Thousand Trail Preservers where most people get around with golf carts.




Lets all line up in a row guys.


Up the hill.  Some sections were steep and rocky making for an interesting hike.  Glad I had my Leki poles with me.

Came back to camp where my crock pot was making dinner for me.  Smells good.  Time to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment