Sunday, December 2, 2012

Air Chair

I spent some time today taking pictures of my air chair that I have set up to hang from my RV.  I love this chair!  It is like having a comfortable swivel rocker outside.  I bought the air chair many years ago when I still had a house.  I bought my chair from Hammocks.com.  Here is the link:  Air Chair

I had the chair hanging on my back porch and when I sold the house I kept the chair hoping I could find a way to use it with my RV.  This spring before I hit the road again I checked on Hammocks.com to see if there was a stand for the chair that would be reasonable for traveling and I found one that will slide into a hitch receiver.  I tried to find it on Hammocks.com just now but could not find it.  They have this one now that might work.  I did a Google search on "tailgate chair stand" and found several places that have it.  Here is one.  Two arms come with this stand but I left one in my storage place since I only have one chair.

 Here the chair is hanging from the hitch on my car.  This worked fine but I needed to remove it every time I wanted to drive the car.  Also it was often hanging in the sun.  My brother came up with the idea of installing a hitch receiver on the RV under the awning so it would be in the shade.  When I set up at a site I am staying at for a while, I put the metal piece up and I can leave it there until I break camp.

My brother's son-in-law has a welding business and he checked to see if it was possible.  It was!
He fabricated the receiver and bolted it to the frame.  There was nothing to bolt or weld the hitch to at the edge so it bowed a bit.  We decided it would be best to put a brace there.  I found that a step stabilizer from Camping World works great.  It can be adjusted for the difference in height if the ground is uneven or if the wheels are blocked up.



So here is what the whole thing looks like with me in it doing some knitting.  I have the yarn in the plastic bag hanging from the bar so it travels with me as I swivel around to keep track of everything going on around me.







Here it is set up under the awning.

The chair S hook can be hung on the opening on the stand but I found I had to adjust the ropes based on the distance to the ground if the ground slopes down or up from where the RV is.  I purchased a short piece of chain and an S hook to hang from the stand.  Now I just hook the chair S hook in whichever link in the chain I need to get it at the correct level so I can touch the ground while sitting in the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment