Thursday, October 10, 2013

Wind, Rain and Snow

I stayed another day at the Blake Ranch because of high winds yesterday that I did not care to fight. So I spent the day relaxing and taking a day off from my driving. 

I left Blake Ranch at about 9 AM. It was not very windy but it had rained in the early morning. The road was mostly dry so no problem. Everything was going good until I came close to Williams.  I noticed some snow on the hills ahead of me. I was hoping the road would not go that high.  It did.  And then it went higher and higher till there was snow alongside the road. Then it was snowing and the temp on my rear view mirror went to 31 degrees and said "ice". Not good.  Fortunately through all of this the road was just wet and never did get slick. The temp went up to 34 and stayed there for a long time. I turned south on I17 and the road stayed at the same elevation. I only had about 30 more miles until my turnoff for the campground I was going to stay at for three weeks. I figured either I was going to have a cold stay with snow or the road would descend very fast. Then I see a sign that says there will be 4 to 6% downhill grades for the next 18 miles!  Yikes!  It was a piece of cake though as there would be a steep descent then it would level off or go uphill for a bit before the next descent. Using the tow/haul feature on my engine kept me from racing down the hill too fast so I only had to use the brakes a time or two for a few seconds on each downhill section. 

By the time I got to the campground, the temps were reasonable. I am not sure how high but I was able to wash all the white stuff off my car dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. They must have had salt or something on the roads because my poor car was a mess. I could barely see out of my windshield of the car so I had to clean it. Tomorrow I will start on cleaning my RV. 

I took some pictures but the internet connection here is not very good at all so they are not uploading. Tomorrow I will take my laptop to the WiFi spot and get the pictures uploaded.

I have a full hookup site in a nice, quiet park and the weather is warm. 

Life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment