Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sedona again, Slide Rock SP and first boondocking site

I drove to Sedona again and found a section that had a lot of quaint stores to go through so I spent half the day browsing.  Bought a few t-shirts to replace some old ones but not much else.

I continued on 89A until I got to Slide Rock State Park.  This was originally the 43-acre Pendley Homestead.  Frank L. Pendley arrived in the canyon in 1907, acquired the land in 1910 and planted an apple orchard.  He established a unique irrigation system still in use by the park today.  There is a stretch of slippery creek bottom here that the park is named after.  I didn't wade in the creek but there was a short trail along a cliff and through the apple orchard that I walked.


Here are some pictures I took along the trail.



After the trip to Sedona I stuck around home pretty much and did mundane things like washing, grocery shopping and filling my propane tank.  I was about at the end of my stay and the Thousand Trail Campground and preparing for my first week boondocking on National Forest land.

Today I left the campground and drove to a Ford dealership just down the road a bit to get my oil changed on my Born Free.  That just took a little bit of time and I was coming back toward Thousand Trail Road again and my boondocking site across the road.

I found a pretty nice site not too far off the road and settled in. 



I am not really on a slope.  Just didn't have the camera level.

In the picture below, you can see my closest, and only, neighbor.


Another picture of my site.


Hopefully there won't be a lot of people in here on the weekend.

Friday of next week I will be heading back to Thousand Trails to spend a week in a Getaway Cabin which I get free once a year.  That will be a change of pace.  I can park my Born Free next to the cabin and I may be spending more time in it than the cabin.  We shall see.  I will let you know how it works out.

It is getting chillier here.  Only getting up to the low 70's during the day and down near freezing at night.  Feels good during the day and I have my furnace to keep me warm and cozy at night. 

I have much better internet speed here than I had in the campground.  Maybe because I am up on top instead of down in the valley.  I can see what I think are some towers on top of a hill near here so they may be the reason. 

Watching the sun go down while I am snug in my little Born Free.

Life is good.














No neighbors close by.  I can see a motorhome off in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment