Thursday, November 7, 2013

Success!

Today is day 7 of my first boondocking experiment and it was a piece of cake. I knew I could go for one week on my tanks because I do it all the time in campgrounds. This was more a test of the solar and to see if I could use only half of my resources in case I want to go 2 weeks.

The results are:

I used about 1/4 of my tank of propane.  A lot of that was probably my furnace and I can easily cut back on that. I turned my furnace back to barely on last night and I was comfortable. I think the low was in the low 30's last night but the Born Free is well insulated so it holds on to the heat of the day. 

I used less than half of the fresh water tank and half of the water I use for drinking and cooking.  That was without drastic conservation, just using my usual methods of conserving water. 

My grey and black tanks are a little over half full I think. Hard to tell with those guys!  I can easily solve that by using a portable toilet some or all the time and dumping some grey water into the black tank. 

I have all the power I need from the solar. I had one cloudy day and that was no problem. As long as most days are sunny, I have no need to conserve on power based on my lifestyle.  

As far as food goes, based on my Whole Food, Plant Based eating I can have enough food to go for months. I just need to stock up on things like potatoes, rice and barley to be good for a long time. I also like to get some fresh vegetables and fruit to last the first week. If I run out, it's okay because I have a large amount of dehydrated vegetables to live off of.  I get dehydrated vegetables and beans online from Harmony House and since they are compact and lightweight, I can have a large stock on hand. 

So based on the last week, I can easily go 2 weeks or more off grid. 



Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment