Friday, April 24, 2015

A long hike

I did the trike ride on Wednesday and on Thursday I decided to hoof it as there is a hiking trail I wanted to check out. Starting out at my campsite near Seaview, I walked out to the Discovery Trail and turned south. At the Beard's Hollow parking lot I went across the highway and took the bike path to North Head Lighthouse. At the parking lot for the lighthouse, I took the short trail to the lighthouse. 


It was extremely windy with showers off and on so I didn't stay long or take many pictures. 

Back at the parking lot, I found and took off on the North Head Trail. It is the squiggly line below the red dot. 


This is a great trail typical of western Oregon and Washington with huge trees, lots of vegetation, and mud. I loved every minute of it!  Fortunately, I had my Leki hiking poles with me or I would have had a tough time of it. 

Interesting trees along the way. 


The root system for this tree ran along the nurse log. 


Expecting to see some Ewoks here. 


This was at the end of the trail. 


More Lewis and Clark Expedition markers. 



The entire walk was almost 9 miles or over 22,000 steps according to my Vivofit. Many places were a challenge, steep inclines, mud, roots and squeezing around tree trunks but it was an enjoyable workout just the same. Still, I was happy to get back to my comfortable little van and dinner. 

Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment