Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Hail and lightning


May 18, 2016  Wednesday 

Left Piñon CG this morning. Hopefully I can get away from the lighting. Did not like being on the ridge with the storms going through. 

The lake below where I was camped.



Turned north on Hwy 32 to Quemado. When I got there a bad storm was hitting so I slipped into a gas station to avoid the hail. Figured I could always use some gas and they have such nice roofs over the area. The hail and rain were really coming down while I filled up. When I was done I drove up to the small store and ran inside to get what groceries I could. Picked up a few things including a loaf of bread. Waited a bit in the store for a break in the rain then made a run for the van. I fixed myself a sandwich and waited for the storm to leave. 

When it cleared a bit, I headed west on Hwy 60 to Springerville, AZ. Unfortunately, I left too soon. Just out of town on a hill I ran into about 3 inches of slushy hail on the road. It was slow going but the van plowed through it okay. Behind me was a snow plow but there was nowhere to get off the road so it could pass me safely. After that it was easy going with just a few light showers. 

Past Springerville, I turned north on Hwy 191 to Lyman Lake State Park and got a non-hookup site for $20 and settled in. 

A picture from the Piñon CG trail. 


Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment