Sunday, June 5, 2016

Wind In The Forest


May 20-29, 2016

It was very windy all weekend while I was in the Coconino National Forest. Almost no traffic on the road I was camped by so that was nice. 



Monday morning I left and headed out of the forest. Drove back on FR139 to FR95 and turned left to FR300 which is the rim road. I thought that would be a wider road since it is so well traveled but it was not. It was definitely a one lane road with few places to pass. To make things more interesting, parts of it are right on the rim edge. Of course I had to meet a truck on one of these places. I saw him coming well ahead of time and pulled up on the bank a bit on a wide place to let him pass. Fortunately for me, he was on the cliff side. Made it out to Hwy 87 with no further excitement and headed down a long, long hill to Cottonwood on Hwy 260. 

After stocking up on groceries at Frys in Cottonwood I headed to BLM land across the road from the Thousand Trails CG I wanted to go to. I can't get in there for a week because they are full. The BLM area was crowded but I lucked out and got a place at the end of the trail with only one guy on the back side of the van and across the trail. He was so quiet, I hardly knew he was there. 

Here is the view out my van door.


Cottonwood is off in the distance. No traffic noise and almost no traffic on the trail coming to my campsite. At around 7 every morning though a hot air balloon came over and one morning they came in very low and touched down on a gravel road near here. I don't think they were having a good day. 




Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment