Sunday, May 4, 2014

Shopping

Bend had rain showers off and on today so I let the rain soak the bugs while I headed into town to do some shopping. I took a different road into town which turned out to be a gravel forest road. It was a very well maintained road and was a very pretty drive. I saw several trail heads along the way that I will need to check out later. 

Using my GPS, I went to several stores and had a quick tour of Bend. First, of course, I headed to REI where my dividend for this year paid for my Merrill shoes that I replace every year. I also found an awesome book called Bend, Overall by Scott Cook. It is primarily about hiking trails, but also touches on museums, lakes, caves and other things to see in the area. There is so much to do here that it may take me several years to see it all. 

After spending a lot of time at REI, I picked up some organic veggies at Whole Foods so I would have something to eat. My GPS really let me down at Whole Foods. It guided me there just fine and said I had arrived at my destination. WHERE!  I was on a major road with two lanes going in each direction and it couldn't tell me which side of the road it was on!  I couldn't see a Whole Foods looking building anywhere so I turned off into a parking lot and took a look around. Nothing. There was a mall on the other side of the road with lots of big stores so I thought that might be a good place to look. After a bit of maneuvering I got over there and started wandering around and eventually I found Whole Foods. Stupid GPS!

One thing I have noticed about Bend is that except for a few major roads, everything meanders around and they have lots of roundabouts. Makes me dizzy.  They also have lots of parks and trails though so overall, it looks like a neat place to hang out. 

Tomorrow I really should get at those bugs.

Life is good. 


1 comment:

  1. We had similar issues with our Garmin GPS on our road trip. I told Scott that if Google Maps made a GPS I would totally buy it. My Google Maps app on my phone worked wonderfully but it up a lot of data

    ReplyDelete