Friday, April 3, 2015

Banks-Vernonia Trail

I did my first official trail ride for my trip today so I can cross Oregon off my list of states to ride in. I rode the Banks-Vernonia trail from the Buxton trailhead to Tophill for a total distance of 11.3 miles. 

This was a very interesting ride with a steady uphill pull for most of the way out until a very steep switchback section DOWNHILL to get to, get this, the Tophill trailhead. Somebody goofed in naming this trailhead. After going up the steep hill, which the map said was 11% grade, I coasted the rest of the way back to Buxton. Of course, this being Oregon, it rained most of the ride. I was ready with my trusty rain coat so no problem. I met only one other cyclist so I had the trail to myself most of the time. 

Here are a couple pictures I took. Since it was a steady rain most of the way, I didn't take many. 

 

I would like to redo this trail someday when the weather is warmer and dry starting in Banks and going all the way to Vernonia and back. That would be a round trip of 42 miles. 

After the ride, I headed for the coast and my campsite there. 

Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment